Monday, December 20, 2010

Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA

Brewery: Dark Horse Brewing Company
Location: Marshall, Michigan
Beer Name: Crooked Tree IPA
Alcohol by Volume: 6.0%


Over the weekend, I was invited to go to an annual birthday party my wife's cousin throws. In the past he would have it at a bar a friend of his worked at on South Street. This year, his friend does not work at that bar anymore, so he shopped around and found a place in Old City called the Irish Pol. I was excited to go there, as it was one of the stops on my Bachelor Party back in August. I knew that the Irish Pol had a wide variety of beers on tap, and I could wait to try some of them.

When we arrived, we found out the party was being held on the second floor (which I wasn't aware existed). In addition to the regular beers (Miller Lite, Coors Light, Miller High Life and Rolling Rock), the bar offered to put a keg on tap for my cousin-in-law. He asked for any IPA, as IPAs are a common beer for people to drink. I disagree, but that's a discussion for another blog. He was given the Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA, or what I have to assume is the Crooked Tree. I was just told it was the Dark Horse IPA and after looking it up, I only found the Crooked Tree IPA.

When I drink IPAs (India Pale Ales for those of you who don't know), I'm never really sure what to expect. IPAs really bridge the span from too hoppy to not hoppy enough, depending on the brewer. The Crooked Tree IPA leaned a little closer to the 'too hoppy' side for me, but the overall taste of the beer was good enough to balance it out. I would have gladly drank this beer all night over the other choices I was given, but some friends of mine showed up and wanted to go elsewhere and drink ponies for a buck at a different bar.

In the end, I rate this beer as one that I wouldn't bend over backwards trying to find it again, but if it were on tap at the place i'm drinking, I'll have a pint.

No comments:

Post a Comment